Sunday, June 24, 2012

There's No Place Like London (Last Days & Going Home)

I am writing this last post from the comfort of my own home, but I couldn't just leave off without writing about my last days.
The last day we really did anything was Wednesday. Mandy, Catherine, and I went to the British Museum and the most noteworthy artifact we saw was the Rosetta Stone. Pretty nifty, right?
After the museum, on the way back to the Tube, we stopped in the cutest store. I literally wanted one of everything.
That afternoon we made our way to Hampstead Heath park which is like a forest in some areas. We had a lovely, wandering walk and found great places to read for a while.
That night we went to Nando's for the last time. All in all it was a very bittersweet day.
The next morning we had a group traditional English breakfast, before I went back to pack. 
Packing to get home was an ordeal. I had my fingers crossed that my bag would not be overweight, but it was highly unlikely that I would be that lucky. When I got to the airport I was very surprised that it was actually fine. (I was a very lucky girl.) The entire way home I would not sleep on the plane or in the car. I refused to have jet lag. It worked pretty well and I'm mostly over the six hour time difference.
This is the point where I talk about what I've gotten out of this experience. Take notes (or not.)
This wasn't my first time abroad. I've been with my parents, and with an organized, structured and highly monitored student group as well. This was different. Way different. Aside from the occasional play or class, my time was my own to do what I wished. I had to do more for myself than I've really had to do before, even with a year of college behind me. I booked plane tickets separate from the program and bought train tickets. I made hotel reservations. I navigated completely new cities on foot. I learned a lot.
Basically, everyone grows up in increments. Mostly you're growing in inches, but occasionally you get a mile long growth spurt. It aches a bit while you go through it, but it's the good kind of growing pains. Even with occasional bouts of anxiety over if I could manage all of my plans on my own, I enjoyed this growth spurt. I'll be waiting in silent anticipation for the next one.

Cheers,
Cis


2 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing this and letting us experience London, and the program, through your eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cicely!! I loved this blog, and especially the last entry. I can hear you speaking in it; and it is, as usual, everything I look up to!
    -Padma

    ReplyDelete