Saturday, June 16, 2012

I Feel Smarter (Day Twenty-five)

Today was one of those really lovely days. (Even though I had to run for my first train and missed that time slot.) One of those days that inspire you to make new goals and make you want more for your life. Today I visited Oxford.
The University of Oxford is the oldest university in the English-speaking world, recognized in 1231. It was just so inspiring to be around so much academia.
The first thing we did was visit the Bodleian Library, which was great. It's always an experience to immerse yourself in so much history. The library is the main research library of the University of Oxford and it is one of the oldest libraries in Europe. In Britain, it is second in size only to the British Library.
The exhibit currently showing at the library was Dickens and his World. I'm going to be honest and say that the only Dickens I have read are A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. I really did enjoy both books, especially Great Expectations. Seeing his world really put things into perspective for me in that it makes his stories make that much more sense.
We took a stop to take pictures at the Rhodes House and the Oxford University Press (the largest university press in the world, publishing its first book in 1478)
All in all the day was pretty great.

Cheers,
Cis


No comments:

Post a Comment