Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Past is the Present

Today was a pretty laid back day for me here in London. Trying to find our way to the Kensington Gardens proved way more difficult than it should have been. Each time we had to make a choice of which way to go we chose the wrong way. Through all of our lost fumbling through the streets of London, we actually managed to find something that we wanted to see. Down one of the random, winding streets there was a building with a plaque saying it was a once a home of T.S. Elliot. As in where he lived and died. So for our random walking I give us an A for effort and outcome.
We did finally manage to find the Kensington Palace in the park and it was a beautiful day to just lay out on the grass and read a book and eat an ice cream cone. Which I did for a while.
Probably the best part of my day was taking a picture with the Parent Trap phone booth. I was very excited to discover them as I love that movie.
For dinner we had about an hour to eat, and as we look for places near the theatre a guy approaches us with this great sounding deal. So we went to the restaurant and it looked pretty legitimate and the food smelled good, but they didn't let us down their long narrow staircase for a bit and they wasted enough time that we finally had to leave. It was a bit awkward and we did feel bad about it. We finally just ate in Chinatown. It worked.
Our play tonight was a Long Day's Journey into Night. I have never read it before, but I have read The Hairy Ape, also by Eugene O'Neill. I was actually looking forward to it even though everyone said that productions of it are usually bad. I wasn't too keen on all of the actors, but I am glad that I got to see the story unfold.
I loved how, unlike usual portrayals of real family that make everyone seem as if they are keeping secrets that one day come out, this family is consistently brutally honest with each other and you can tell how many times they've had to keep going past that. The best line of the play was "The past is the present, isn't it? It's the future too." I don't necessarily believe that, but it's so poignant in that that is how much their world seems so inevitable. The basic message I'm trying to get across is that I have to read more by O'Neill.

Hope you like my pictures below!

Cheers,
Cis


No comments:

Post a Comment